Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Ring-A-Day project

I have decided to participate in the Ring-a Day project started on flickr by Nina Dinoff. So far I have made two rings. It has been good for me and forced me out of my comfort zone to try new things. I never make rings. In fact I have gotten in a bit of a rut with just making earrings. This will be a challenge in that regard as well as just doing it every day. The two I have made so far have been on the weekend. I hope I can continue during the week when I am always too tired when I get home. Here is what I have done so far:

Friday, January 22, 2010

Some new enamels

I have been really enjoying making these small square samples. They are small but very satisfying. I am learning a lot about cloisonne. Today I worked in 24k gold foil. I have never worked in gold before due to it's high cost but using the foil makes it affordable. The color is amazing. I put a thin layer of Thompson's Mandarin Orange 2840 over the foil and it is really making the color pop even more if that is possible. These are unfinished, but I will post them as I progress. I hope I don't ruin them as I am apt to due when it comes to the final finish.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New cloisonne design in progess

This is a new design I am working on. I hope to have it finished soon.

Cloisonne updates

I didn't like how dark the center shapes were looking so I added some gold foil and overlaid it with Thompson 2839 red. I also thought the green was too green so I layered some Thompsons 2335 Peacock Green over the Bitter Green 1319. The only problem is I waited too long to add the new colors and now I cannot file it down even because I will lose the color of the transparent green. I am learning with every mistake.